Saturday 4 July 2015

"Get Windows 10" icon has appeared

Arrival

I thought my Windows 8.1 laptop had been playing up lately; it looks like it has begun preparing for Windows 10 which is expected to arrive as an Update to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installations.

Over the last few days, my Win 8.1 laptop has gone through periods of running like a dog - a very slow overweight dog! Restarts have frozen and had to be forced off with press and hold of the power button and updates have resulted in elongated Black screen apparent 'dead' periods. I'm sure many users must be panicking if they are seeing the same.

"Get Windows 10" icon

I first noticed the "Get Windows 10" icon had appeared on my Windows 7 Pro laptop down in the status tray at the bottom right corner of my screen. The icon looks like the Windows 8.1 Start Button. It has also now appeared on my Win 8.1 laptop. (Yes, I have both, and 3 Towers with XP, 2000 and Win 10 Tech Preview respectively much to my wife's frustration.)
 

Installation Progress

I'm going to try kicking off the Windows 10 update on my wife's Win 7 Pro laptop which she hardly ever touches since getting her hands on an iPad. The icon hasn't arrived yet but the laptop hasn't been switched on for ages so it is now sitting switched on and gathering updates.
My intention is to post my experience of the update here so, if your are interested, pop back.

Windows 10

I have had the Windows 10 Technical Preview on  a desktop PC for a few months and have been very impressed with it.
Those of you who have doggedly resisted and stayed with Win 7 or even XP should have few worries. Assuming that you are not on a Touch Screen PC, the functionality of the traditional Start Button and All Programs have returned, albeit now called 'Apps' rather than 'Programs'. At the same time it has retained some of the better aspects on Win 8.1 including faster load times and background updates. I hope you'll like it as much as I do.

Interface Detection


Windows 10 will detect whether you are working with a Keyboard and Mouse or with Touch Screen.
If you are using Keyboard and Mouse it will present a familiar 'Start Button' and 'All Apps' interfaced as described above. Ironically, the most re-learning needed will be if you have only ever experienced Windows 8.x.
If you are using Touch Screen then I understand it will give more of a Windows 8 feel which makes sense as a finger tip is better at prodding icons and using slide movements, however, as don't have a Touch Screen I can't offer any experience.








No comments:

Post a Comment